Monday, April 11, 2005

The Door To History


The Door To History
Sparta Train Depot
Sparta, Georgia

Soon after we moved to Georgia, Diane and I went on a tour of old abandoned buildings/houses. Good thing it was winter, the snakes and other critters left us pretty much alone.

This is the depot in Sparta, Georgia - a wonderful building that takes you back in time with the first step inside. From a look around, no one had been in this building (functionally) since the early 1980's. You could see the old safe, the signaling levers - which I tried and they still work! - and the rooms where the train crews would sleep while waiting for their trains.

The floors creaked with every step. You could see the ghosts of the folks busying themselves with the work that envelopes a train station. The manifests and invoices were laying on the desks, right where they were when the last shift left the building.For a train buff, which I am, this was priceless!

The two of us walked out on the platform and I looked down the tracks: I could see the station manager sticking his head out of the door and checking his watch, feel the trains rumbling into the station, hear the clatter of luggage being unloaded by the porters...it was truly a step back into the 1940's....I want to take it over and over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great composition and frame within a frame effect. Perfect caption too! Many beautiful pictures on your blog...

anne
http://www.wideangle.ca

Anonymous said...

Very much like a series of Photos I took recently here where I live in Norway: an abandoned farm with outhouses was already partially torn down by the time I discovered it--but the workmen weren't there the weekend I came to the site. I think I took 126 pics in the course of 2 hours!! Everywhere I turned was a shot and I hardly needed to stop up before shooting--the solutions came running out of my finger!! I LOVE such deserted places and all the soul and history they reek of--Karlene