Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Frond Of Mine


A Frond Of Mine
John White's Driveway

Green Valley, Arizona

It was a beautiful day to go for a ride in Southern Arizona and Diane and I made the best possible use of it. We headed out of Bisbee on Highway 92, out of Sierra Vista and over to Sonoita and Patagonia. The day was FANTASTIC, the drive was FANTASTIC, the company was FANTASTIC, the scenery was FANTASTIC - did I mention that it was a FANTASTIC day?!At Patagonia, we cut down to Duquesne, Lochiel and over to Nogales. The ride was presenting image after image of overwhelming Arizona landscapes! Eventually, we made it to Interstate 19. Normally, I hate interstate driving, but I-19 is different. The sun was hitting the mountains and making them sparkle. This is a light that comes only rarely in most parts of the world, but in Arizona, it comes about once a week - and I was here for it.

The western states have one beautiful thing in common - the particular hue of blue that we get that just isn't found anywhere else. I think (and I may be wrong on this one) that it is the lack of humidity that brings this unique color of blue out of the sky. When you see it, you cannot help but think that it is "too blue" for nature - or that all other natural blue is somehow "tainted" (the latter being my personal feeling)

The contrast of Diane's father's palm trees with this particular blue was astounding. The greens and the blues were just unnatural. Did I mention that it was a FANTASTIC day?

No comments: