Friday, April 01, 2005

Silhouette Of A Nation


Silhouette Of A Nation
Southern Arizona Veteran's Memorial Cemetery
Ft. Huachuca, Arizona

The Veteran's Memorial Cemetery at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona is a place of many contrasts. The graves of the fallen, the dry grass of the High Chaparral and the Huachuca Mountains forming a backdrop present so many stirring images that it is hard to capture one that speaks to the entire experience.

After a frustrating day of work at the fort, I decided to take a slight detour through the cemetery. I had no intentions of making any pictures - I just wanted to unwind and I figured that the cemetery would at least be quiet. As I walked though the graves of the service men and women, it dawned on me that no matter how frustrating my job is, it is worth it. These people did what it took to get the job done. Our country is what it is - right or wrong - because of these people's sacrifice. My job is just a continuation of that struggle. I may not have bullets being fired at me on a daily basis, but my job of making the Army's computer networks better directly impacts those who do.

The dead spoke to me. The living owe it to them to keep their dreams of America alive.

No comments: